Bellingham Acupuncture Services
Living a healthy, long life with grace is obtainable with the support of Acupuncture. At A Better Way Massage and Acupuncture our mission is to educate and offer patients alternative care and treatment for many difficult issues without adding drugs or narcotics so that you can face life challenges at your healthiest.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture utilizes sterile, fine filament needles that upon insertion communicate with the CNS and tells the brain to speed up the natural healing process. This is done by either releasing certain neuroreceptors or blocking them. So an immediate benefit of acupuncture is pain relief because of the release of endorphins. Locally, acupuncture can break up adhesions, alleviate trigger points, and mechanically force. Acupuncture includes treatments such as Fire Cupping (lifting the skin to release adhesions and move toxins), Gua Sha (Scraping), ElectroAcupuncture (for release of ATP for healing or fast twitch to reduce pain), Tuina (Massage), Moxabustion (increase T-cell count and immunity – promote healing), Auricular Acupuncture (Ear Acupuncture), Traditional Chinese Acupuncture (TCM), Japanese Acupuncture (Gentler and applying laws of 5 elements), Korean Acupuncture (shared style between TCM and JA, but with more needles)
Your first Treatment
Acupuncture can be performed with you seated in your chair or lying on a treatment table, facing up or down. It is best to wear comfortable clothing where it is easy to access your legs and arms. Please try to eat something before arriving so that you are not hungry during the treatment. We will offer you tea or water in the case you are thirsty. We will also offer you heated tables or blankets in the case you are cold. Our treatments consist of the following:
- Comprehensive Acupuncture Intake
- 15-30 minute review of health intake and discuss chief complaint
- If you have never experienced acupuncture, your first treatment is performed with you lying on your back. This is so we can build a trust and relationship and you can ask me questions while I am completing your intake.
- Palpation of organ channels, also known as Meridian Channel Diagnosis, feeling for tension, bumps, moles, or sticky tissue.
- Palpation of the stomach, also known as Hara Diagnosis, feeling for cold, hot, hard, empty or changes in tissue.
- We will also ask you to stick out your tongue. We look at the shape of your tongue, the color, coat and how moist or dry it is. This and palpating your pulse on both wrists directs your practitioner on the treatment plan.
- Needle retention from 30-45 minutes.
- After needles have been removed, a treatment plan is created for you and the provider to follow to help you resolve your chief complaint.
- An Initial Report may be sent to your primary care provider upon request.
- Treatment plans and timeline of care, which may or may not include massage therapy, are balanced and easy to accommodate into your schedule.
Benefits of Acupuncture
- Safe and effective in treating acute or chronic health issues
- Provides a drug-free option to pain relief
- Treats the root cause of the issue as well as the immediate symptoms
- Acupuncture is holistic medicine; The whole body is considered in the treatment – the illness, the Body, Mind and Spirit.
- Acupuncture is an effective treatment for many common ailments.
Most Common Conditions We Treat with Acupuncture
- Acupuncture for any Muscle or Nerve Pain in the Body
- Acupuncture and Infertility, including AC treatments with IVF support – Men and Women
- Acupuncture for Insomnia
- Acupuncture for Interstitial Cystitis
- Acupuncture for Anxiety or Stress
- Acupuncture for Labor Preparation
- Acupuncture for Pre or Post Operative Procedures