When you first visit my office, I’ll be scanning your paperwork and health history for possible Ashiatsu contraindications. A “contraindication”, by the way, is a clinical term for a condition or factor that serves as a reason to withhold a certain treatment – in our case, Ashiatsu. Most new clients breeze through filling out their Health Intake forms just before an appointment, because at first glance to them, it doesn’t really seem to apply to a massage, and the form is eating up precious minutes out of their session… Well, Ashiatsu and barefoot massage are much MUCH different than any massage provided by hands, and there are many health concerns that I need to know about prior to using my feet and body weight to massage you. I am usually skeptical when your health history looks perfect, so lets dive into what I need to look out for to keep your massage safe:
Ashiatsu contraindications (AKA, not allowed!)
- If you are a woman that is pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- If you’ve had breast implants within nine months
- If you’ve had recent eye procedures/Lasik surgery within 72 hours
- If you have a history of Tuberculosis, thrombosis, aneurysm, or ongoing kidney disorders.
- If you are currently going through radiation therapy treatments.
- If you’ve had any knee, hip, spine, shoulder, or major joint surgeries within 6 weeks
- If you have phlebitis or cellulitis
- Any Autoimmune Disorders (such as lupus, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, etc) and Lyme disease
- If you are currently taking any blood thinners, pain killers, or muscle relaxants
- If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure or heart condition
- If you have a pacemaker, stint or shunt
- If you’ve had a rib or any bone fracture/break within 6 months
- If you have Osteoporosis
- If you have spondylolithesis
- If you have Guillian-Barre’ Syndrome, any neuropathy, or any neurological disorder that causes loss of sensation or muscle weakness
- If you have been on a plane flight longer than 6 hours within the last 24 hours prior to your massage appointment.
- If you are sick. (If I get sick, then I have to reschedule everyone!)
- If you don’t like deep pressure during your massages
- If you weigh less than 130 pounds (Ashi-Thai and Ashi-Anma are OK for most any weight, but not Ashiatsu.)
- If you are under 18 years old.
The following situations do weigh heavily on your massage. Although we may not need to reschedule your appointment completely based off of any of these, it will definitely shape the plan of action I take during your session, and I need to know about “stuff”. Please be sure to let me know when scheduling your appointment if any of the following applies to you.
- If you have any extra hardware installed (IUD, joint replacements, fusions, rods, plates, screws, alien probes, etc)
- If you are diabetic, hypoglycemic or a hemophiliac
- If you have been diagnosed with any stage of a herniated/bulging/slipped disc
- If you have spinal stenosis, spondylitus, spondylosis (Any “spondy”!)
- If you’ve had any recent injuries (Dislocations, sprains, strains, bumps, bruises, whiplash, etc)
- If you’ve had recent injections of substances at joint or muscle junctures (Botox, saline, nerve block, epidural, corticosteroid, even birth control.)
- If you have had any kind of surgery ever – depending on the situation and how long it’s been, I may need a doctors approval, I may prefer that you finish your Physical/Occupational Therapy series prior to your session with me, or we may be just fine.
- If you are experiencing:
- Heavy menstrual cramping or abnormal flow cycle
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Low grade fever
- Acute intense pain that does not subside
- Numbness or tingling in any area.
- If you have been diagnosed with Osteopenia (early stage of Osteoporosis)
Now that I’ve probably scared you: don’t worry about it. Ashiatsu Contraindications are defined to help protect you while on my massage table. Please have a safe summer and just have fun!
Heeling Sole Barefoot Massage – http://www.HeelingSole.com